Friday, January 6, 2012

Never Give Up: Failure is Part of Success

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-Michael Jordan

Kids often think that they can do anything. That's a good thing--most of the time. But I believe it is also important that children realize that things don't always come easily. They see athletes and want to play just like them. They hear musicians play and want to be able to play like that. They weren't there to witness the countless hours of practice nor all of the struggles that went into making that person successful. It takes hard work and a lot of determination to be successful. Most successes are not accidental nor instantaneous. I hope to teach my children that they CAN succeed if they are willing to work hard and put forth the effort needed to accomplish their goals. In an 1840's Teacher's Manual Thomas H. Palmer wrote a poem. A portion of the poem reads, "If at first you don't succeed, Try, try again." Isn't that the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment