Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I have two maids on Saturdays


At the risk of having you read this post in your "Don't Hate me Because I'm Beautiful" Panteen commercial voice let me explain. I live in the Middle East, Bahrain to be exact, and it is a common practice to have a full-time or part-time maid. Our maid, *The Miracle Worker, charges 1/10 of what one charges in the US, if she lived with us and worked full-time it is more likely she would charge even less. She only cleans our house because she is part time but most housemaids take care of the children as well. We lived here before and LOVED our housemaid, *Sri Lankan Sunshine, as if she were our own family but we can only have her come one day on the weekends to stay in our maid quarters because she is currently working for a French family who, and I don't blame them one bit, do not want to part with her. So there you have it. Why then would I share this with you, as you reach for your toilet scrubber to hit me through the computer? Well, it is my introduction to those of you who would like an insider's view into the life of an expat. You should know that I grew up mainly in the same house and in the same town and didn't awaken the gypsy that lives inside of me until I was off to college and knew I wanted to not just travel the world I wanted to live, eat, and breathe it.

There are always give and takes, pros and cons, in every choice one makes and choosing to live in a foreign country is one of those major choices. I gave up living close to my family and friends, missing special occasions and holidays with them, shopping at Target, WalMart, and Costco, less them 120 degree weather in September and October, and going to a waterpark in a bathing suit because I feel practically naked wearing anything less then a body suit here. However, I'm enjoying the MANY different cultures and people from all over the world who live and work here. I love the food, the sites, the unexpected adventures that turn up in the most unlikely places. Yes, I love having the extra perks as well that have made life easier but it wouldn't be worth it without all of these things that make living in a foreign country one of my best choices so far!

Last week a man behind me in the grocery store told me his wife and children were flying in at the end of the month to join him in Bahrain and he asked how I liked it. I went on and on about how much I loved living in Bahrain and then I stopped suddenly in the midst of my list of great things about Bahrain and said, "Oh, but I should tell you that I've felt this way about every place I've ever lived." In a nutshell, I believe you don't have to live in a foreign country to have an adventure, learn, or have great experiences. Find out what makes your hometown great and fun and interesting and go out and Live, Eat, and Breathe it in!!

With Love,

Nonnie


*names have been changed because I like to change people's names:)

No comments:

Post a Comment